Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Village EXTREME!



In The Village Church tradition of "not being of the world, but being in the world" [at least I think that's how the tradition goes, it might be the other way around] in the form of dress and music but at the same time appearing to go to great lengths to "appeal" to the 20-something crowd, I think we should introduce EXTREME! Evangelism. I think EXTREME! Evangelism has massive tatoo-sporting, body piercing, Red-Bull drinking, X-Games participating, backwards-hat-wearing appeal. And along with EXTREME! prayer, not that every-day, old-fashioned, like-your-dad-prayed prayer, I mean EXTREME! prayer, we should see people you-know-what slappin' the greeters to get in the door.

Now, I have no idea what EXTREME! Evangelism implies any more that I understand what EXTREME! Carwash means on the sign in front of the "carwash" near the Vista Ridge Mall. I suspect it is the 20-something equivalent to "New and Improved" which applies to every product ever marketed in the Solar System . . . which is to say it is completely and totally meaningless.

If by now you are getting the impression that I have an EXTREME! problem with 20-somethings simply because I have mentioned them 2 or 3 times (depending on your philosophical stance on self-reference), then YOU are the one with a problem with 20-somethings, not me. I am an overweight, balding middle-age white person, which on the demographic scale of EXTREME! popularity and social desirability ranks just below germ and I am OK with that. We overweight, balding middle-age white persons have had our day running the universe and are more than willing (somewhat) to turn over responsibility to anyone who wants it.

Further, I think we should define EXTREME! Jesus who doesn't just turn over tables and throw out money changers. Dawg! He's you-know-what slappin' 'em and livin' large. He's a backwards hat wearin' dude! Knockin' back a brewski and talkin' to the ho's at the well . . . I'm running out of steam with this, largely because it's a horrible idea.

But, hey! I'm starting my EXTREME! blog as soon as I get my new EXTREME! laptop that I will attach to my EXTREME! network which uses EXTREME! bandwidth and costs me EXTREME! dollars for which I am going into EXTREME! debt and will require an EXTREME! amount of EXTREME! prayer and EXTREME! forgiveness because of the swear words I will likely use when I get the EXTREME! bill from Verizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment